The dentist always tells us how vital dental flossing is to ensure our teeth remain clean from bacteria and plaque. But do you know which kinds of floss to use and how to use them? If you don’t, then you have come to the right place!
This article will highlight the different types of dental floss and some significant points to keep in mind about them. It can help you get started on your dental floss journey. So let’s get started!
Types Of Dental Floss
Most dentists in Goose Creek recommend water floss to their patients. They might seem too extra to some people, but they are a very convenient option. They are very effective, are readily available, and are super affordable too! What’s more, many often regard these as one of the best ways to get rid of plaque, gingival bleeding, and gingivitis in our mouth.
The Floss Pick
The floss pick is perfect for those who need something on the gap. These are tiny plastic tools and they have a small floss attached to their end. You can carry them around in your purse and floss your teeth whenever you want. Also, you can use these types of floss to teach your child how to floss correctly.
Waxed Dental Floss
Waxed dental floss is one of the most popular flossing tools in the market. It can glide effortlessly between evenly-spaced teeth. Also, it does not break away easily, thanks to its wax coating.
If your teeth are very close together, you should use unwaxed floss. They can quickly get inside tight spots and do not have any unwanted chemicals in them. However, they are prone to breaking away very fast.
PTFE floss is produced with a substance known as polytetrafluorethylene. It is the same substance used in the gore-tex fabric. This kind of floss does not shed quickly and can very easily slide between your teeth.
Dental tape is broader and flatter than your regular floss. It is the perfect floss for those who have huge teeth gaps. Also, if you have any bridgework, the dental tape will work wonders for you. They are also available in unwaxed and waxed options.
Now you know all about the different types of dental floss. So here are some critical factors you should keep in mind before you start using them.
Things You Should Know About Flossing
- As you now know, there are different types of dental floss. However, not all of them are suitable for everyone. So it is best if you consult your dentist before buying one yourself.
- Flossing has several health benefits. It can remove plaque and bacteria and reduce the chances of cavities, bad breath, and gum diseases.
- Floss helps to clean away any debris that has collected on your teeth. It ensures that your teeth do not look grey and dull but retain their natural pearly white glow.
- Do not be alarmed if there is slight bleeding when you first floss your teeth. It is entirely natural as your gum becomes tender once you remove all the plaque.
- You need to know the right way to floss before you start. So we always suggest consulting your dentist and learning the method. It will ensure that you clean your teeth in the best way possible.
And that is all you need to know about dental flossing! If you still have any queries regarding flossing, consult our orthodontist specialists Goose Creek. They can guide you through the dos and don’ts of flossing and choose the best floss for you. So head over to our website and book an appointment today!